Wednesday 17 December 2008

2 weeks after operation (DALK or partial cornea transplant).

I went and saw my optometrist today. Vision from the eye is 6/21. That sounds bad but its a big improvement from the zero (actually it had a negative affect on my total vision) previous to the operation. Both my eyes can focus on the same thing nowadays which already gives me some depth perception.

Why he gave me a measurement out of 21 I do not know. Measurements are usually out of 20 or 9, and as I think 20 implies feet and 9 meters its practically the same. Not that the test they actually do could possibly be more then half that distance even with the mirror they usually use, but I guess it lets different practices share a standard measure. Maybe 21 feet is close enough to 9 meters which is the measure that Anthony has been using. (No I still haven't got my honorary doctorship. In fact I am not sure they have even got around to inventing the word doctorship.)

My vision hasn't been improving as fast the last couple of days. I am told however that as well as the cornea healing, their is extra liquid in the cornea which has to clear before my vision finishes to improve. My theory is that this fluid is now the main limit on my sight improving, and it's this that is improving more slowly, resulting in a slower correction in my sight.

I also have astigmatism. .50 horizontal and 3.73 vertical. (Ok I may have the vertical and horizontal the wrong way around in my memory.) Tomorrow I am going to see a eye doctor who hop fully can reduce the astigmatism by tightening and loosing some of the stitches in my eye. What fun! No doubt this will undo a small amount of healing.

At the moment I still don't have any better idea of what my final vision will be then I did the day after the operation. The doctors and optometrists don't seem worried by what they are seeing however so I expect this means the vision will end up good!

No comments: