Saturday 13 December 2008

10 days after operation

My eyes are feeling better everyday. While it is still fairly sensitive and painful some of the most annoying symptoms that have bothered me over the last year in both eyes have gone or dramatically decreased. I have stopped medication on the right eye so I am prety happy about this though to be fair it is just possible that the medication I am using on the left eye is also responsible. It does show however that the problems in my "good" eye were due to the issues in the other eye. Just to doubly confirm this to my surprise my "good" eye actually did not see so well for a few days after the operation, however its back to seeing as well as every now, though it may still be slightly more sensitive then it should be.

My vision in the eye that was operated on is improving everyday. It is now quiet definitely better than is was before the operation. (Not that this means much as the eye was legally blind before the operations). I never used to use the eye much (for obvious reasons) however if from close up (otherwise everything was just blur) I looked at a point from which straight lines radiated out in all directions, I would see strange things with it. I got this effect by looking at the centre of my bathroom drain from close up. From about 12-2 O'clock I would see in a very blurry fashion more or less what you would expect. After that however the straight lines would *look* to curve to the left. They would not appear to come from the same point. In places they would appear to crossover even - weird- in places there was not much more then a blur.

Anyway now *all* the straight lines look straight! It's still blurry but (I think) that's because I haven't grown the surface of my eye back completely yet. The blur is also pretty much evenly spread around a line. I think a horizontal line may have just very very very slightly more blur beneath it (but letters appear to have blur up and slightly to the left). Slight is the word however. I am taking this even pattern of blur as a very good sign of the sight to come. According to Stirling; this along with being able to see straight lines means that the cornea now is very close to the ideal shape and once the surface grows back everything should be sharp and clear! Not that I really know what I am talking about. My honorary Doctorship in Keratoconus has yet to arrive. I have a book here with letters on the cover that are 5cm or so in size....and I can read them very easily with the eye! Woot! (Actually here there is a faint double of the letter slightly above and a tiny bit to the left_

Of course I am used to being able to stick the contacts on and get clear vision, and I am still finding life with practical vision really only from one a bit tricky, and yes the eye is still pretty sensitive to light or well anything. But it's slowly improving everyday.

The next interesting event will be next thursday when my optometrist thinks he may be able to get a fair idea of how my vision will end up! I will of course post news here.

Below is a picture of my eye at the moment. I suspect that the redness that you can see is largely from the anesthetic needle, though possibly there was some other damage from the operation. When my eye was looking the worst I really wasn't feeling like taking photos but the most pain seemed to be in the eyelids which welled up a little. If you look really carefully (it probably helps to know what you are looking for) You can see where the new cornea starts. One of these days I might try to get a better photo of that and the stitches. I am not optimistic of getting a photo of the stitches with my current lenses without a least a macro ring however - my bro has these and I'll have a go witgh them one day probably. They are surprisingly tiny (1/10 the width of a human hair I have heard) and the black stitches don't contrast well with my browny greeny grayish coloured eyes. (Whats with that I am sure I used to have brown eyes). I have seen big photos of light blue eyes with black stitching where the sticthing was very obvious.




I just stole a picture from the web that shows stitches after a cornea transplant very clearly. I think some photographer knows something that I don't! :) I also suspect that the stitching just isn't as clear on my eye. Maybe it was done a little differently.

No comments: