Friday 25 June 2010

1 week on

I had another transplant 1 week ago.  My eye is still very sore and very very sensitive to light.  However it hasn't had the really intense periods of pain as badly as it did last time so I am hoping thats a good sign.

I was surprised by the surgeon saying to me as I was wheeled in that he was going to make the new transplant .5mm bigger then the last one.  It didin't seem much bigger at first but the first one was only 9mm so .5 is a bit.  If my calculations on the surface area of a circle is right then its approximately 11% bigger - which might be enough to be significant.  THe cornea is really more like part of a sphere then a circle which probably makes it slightly larger again.

The idea is that if the donor cornea is stronger having more of it in my eye should make my eye stronger.  Last time he said that 9mm was a big implant however so I guess he was approaching as big as they can be done?  Tey do have to leave a little of my cornea so the surface will grow over the donor cornea.

My eye is too light sensitive to really look at the screen as I type this so hopefully there are not to many typos!

I've taken no photos this time.  It looks very similar to last time.  Possibly it was slightly more red...or I wasn't taking photos last time when it wwas at its most red.

No comments: