Tuesday 2 February 2010

Good news

It seems my cornea has stabilised which is good. The shape wasn't too bad but it wasn't ideal. Dr Maloof to my surprise was able to do a small operation on my eye to improve the astigmatism. It is only possibly to change the curvature in one direction with this technique. It was about 6.5 dioptres and he was aiming to reduce it by approximately 3 dioptres. He says he doesn't reduce by more then 3 at one time.

Anyway I'm feeling positive about that and Dr Malood himself told me I will end up with good vision - eventually. He said he expects at least 6/7.5 which I think I would be very happy with. :)

5 comments:

Mr Cobbar said...

Your blog is great! I had a dalk graft done on my right eye in Feb 2010 in Melb by Prof Rasik Vajpayee. So far my experiences are a lot like yours. I am also doing a blog it is at http://dalktransplant.blogspot.com/

Lools like you are going to get an excellent result! The hard part is the long wait!

Mr Cobbar

Mr Cobbar said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stirl said...

Thanks for your feeback Mr. Yes the long wait is annoying - I hadn't expected it to be this long.

It looks like I am 14 months further on than you are, but maybe I take less time to heal up. I sometimes wonder if I shouldn't go to Melbourne and get a 2nd opinion from someone else who does DALK operations. Do you find your surgeon easy to talk to? What sort of time frame have you been led to expect to have stable sight by?

Mr Cobbar said...

My surgeon did not specify how long healing will take or when I will have stable vision. I am expecting healing to take 12 months + based on dalk and pk operations. Both seem to take about as long to heal. I think most top surgeons are really busy and don't have much time to talk. If you need another transplant you may want to talk to prof Gerard Sutton located in Sydney. He is the first aust surgeon to use the femtosecond laser to do a corneal transplant. I read a study that said that vision improves faster when this laser is used with most patients achieving good vision in 9 months. All the best. Mr Cobbar

Stirl said...

Thanks I had not heard of Gerard Sutton. I live in Canberra whch is closer to Sydney possibly one day I will get a 2nd opinino from him. I'll wait a bit longer first I think...